Tuesday, August 10, 2010

To-Do List

There are so many things that I absolutely, must, upon pain-of-death do before leaving Bologna. And I'll probably never do most of them, because there are only two more weeks, and it's August and everything is closed, and I'm tired and sad and overwhelmed by moving.

But I did manage to do one important thing. I went to Grom to get a gelato. Grom is a gelateria in the center of Bologna, known for its super-high-quality, Slow Food ingredients. In this case the hype is pretty much worth it, because they make delicious gelato. Grom is also in New York City, and the New York Times recently called it the most expensive ice cream in the United States (!!) - that's really something. All the more reason to enjoy my cheapy cone in Bologna.



For all of you Americans who want to get a really fancy ice cream, of anyone who is visiting Italy, my favorite Grom flavor is "Crema di Grom". It's basically the best version of cookies-and-cream possible: pastry-cream flavored ice cream, grainy, not-too-sweet cornmeal cookies (according to Grom's website, the corn is stone-ground to make the cookies as grainy as possible), and Colombian dark chocolate shavings. So, so good. Especially with homemade whipped cream.

The above photo is really a photo of Crema di Grom, but I didn't take it. Got it here.

2 comments:

Impy said...

OMG! stoneground cornmeal cookies in ice cream! You will no doubt think that the NYC version doesn't taste as good. :( And it won't. :(

That article in the NYT was unfair. People spend more on a glass of wine and don't think twice. I'm going to NYC to have a grom grom right now.

Energy Mouse said...

A little bit jealous.