Sunday, August 22, 2010

Goodbye, for now

Tomorrow is the big day, my departure from Bologna.

I feel heartbroken at the idea of going, even though I know it's the right thing, and the new chapter of my life is going to propel me forward in the right direction. I want to move forward - I just wish that I didn't have to leave so many loved ones behind here. Couldn't the Atlantic Ocean be just a little bit smaller?

Over the next few weeks I will post an update here about the next blog, that is, Emma's Avventure Newyorkesi (ehmm, suggerimenti per il titolo sono benvenuti!). 

Thanks to my teeny group of regular readers (aka family members and close friends).

In Italian, there are various ways of saying goodbye - a dopo, which means "see you later", ciao, which is a casual way of parting, the more formal arrivederci, which is literally "until we meet again", and addio, which is a real, serious goodbye. Yet another point in Italian's favor, with such a rich choice of words for every action.

Anyway, it's time for my last dinner in Bologna, at least for now.
A dopo!

1 comment:

Jersey Girl said...

I have loved every word, Emma, and feel so lucky to have been able to watch your world through your eyes. Any change -- good or bad -- takes a piece of your heart, as you are leaving a piece of yours in Italy. It will be with you always. I can't wait to see what the future holds for you, and no matter what it is, you will no doubt embrace it with the same wonder and eloquence. Happy trails!