Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lessons Learned at the End



As I come to the final countdown in Bologna, which is really not so fun at all; every morning the sense of time passing becomes more stressful. I had made myself a mental list of the things I just had to do before leaving - like, I wanted to go to Venice, I wanted to see an exhibit in Rimini, go to various museums, and the list goes on. Hmm. Not much of that stuff been done.


I have been able to say goodbye to my life in Italy in a few small ways, though, that have been really meaningful to me.


I went back to this special place, with some of the people most beloved to me in Italy. We sunned ourselves on the rocks, hiked up to the abandoned town, and ate at the same amazing restaurant.


I had a wonderful belated-birthday surprise-trip-weekend-with-food. The best present ever, and despite an unfortunate bout with a stomach bug (yes! my stomach always manages to act up at the best times) it was just the right gift.

A friend (who is cooking me dinner tomorrow) told me to name my ideal menu, all the dishes I wanted before I left Bologna. There was nothing, really, that I could think of - not because I've already OD'd on everything - full disclosure, because my favorite meatball meal is already planned for this weekend. But this question did help me realize that there was one thing I really, really wanted: a bombolone (basically, a doughnut without the hole) filled with cream. The best, most decadent, unhealthy, delicious breakfast Italy has to offer.

So I got one this morning, and it was amazing. It wasn't a trip to Venice, or a day spent in a museum ... but it might've been better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my sister! im sad that she's sad! poor eeems! but at least there's that place near mom's on columbus that has bomboloni. i love my sister!!!

Lulu said...

Impy says you can eat a NYC bombolone on one side of Columbus Ave and a cupcake on the other. I think your Italian readers will want to hear about the cupcakes!

:0(

That last photo of you made grandma get all misty-eyed.