Tuesday, April 07, 2009

A Romantic Interlude



Last weekend I was a witness for Massimo's (i.e. my eccentric ex-landlord's) wedding. See the pretty couple, below.



Massimo got married in what is basically the equivalent of city court, in the city municipality building in Bologna. Because everything is much more beautiful in Italy, this official ceremony (which lasted about 15 minutes) still seemed like a super-elegant, almost royal affair.



Being a witness was supremely exciting, even though I had been skeptical up until the last minute (I knew nothing about my duties before showing up at 11:30 on Sunday morning). We had to submit official ID in order to be approved as witnesses; luckily for me, an expired student travel card (the only thing I had in my "nice" purse) was accepted! I got to sit up front with the other three witnesses and the bride and groom. Here is my fancy chair.



And this is what the official ceremony looked like. There's the ring bearer, the bride's nephew.



I got to sign those huge marriage certificates sitting on the table. Oddly, the guy who officiated (the President of the Provincial Council or something similar) pronounced Emma and Gilmore perfectly, and stumbled over Valenze. Go figure.



The entire experience was made more interesting by the fact that Massimo's family has very deep roots in Bologna and they made an effor to organize a traditional, Bolognese wedding. I felt like a tourist, as usual, in the best possible way. Not to mention that the guests were a cast of characters made for a movie. Late bride, lecherous uncles, stressed parents, flamboyantly dressed inlaws, you name it.



This has been a nightmarish week due to my particularly bizarre moving situation (or lack thereof, really), and I'm currently scrambling as I try to figure out where I'm going to end up living. So this happy event was much needed. And now my signature will live forever in Bologna!



(Regarding the earthquake, I'm just fine, and so is Bologna itself. We're pretty far away from L'Aquila, so I've been seeing the same scary and upsetting news coverage as all of you.)

4 comments:

Jersey Girl said...

The first wedding I was an official witness to was your parents'...when your mother was your age...it is an honor, isn't it? It is also somehow so very right that a new generation of Valenzes signature is on file in Italy forevermore. Bravo, Emma! So glad you're OK and sending lots of love your way.

Betty said...

Grazie per aver spiegato quali sono i compiti della testimone... il 15 giugno cercherò di far entrare la carta d'identità nella mia borsetta!

One Hundred Steps said...

By the way, I love the photos of Massimo and bride. They're beautiful and romantic!

Sarettah said...

Emma, and what about your dress? I can't find it anywhere...