Sunday, March 04, 2007

Going for a Ride



On Friday I had my first ever ride on a scooter. (Massimo and Lucia's. Not a Vespa, but equally amazing in every way.) It was soooooooo exciting. I think that riding on the back of an Italian scooter, in Italy, must be a completely unique experience. For one thing, the traffic and the general Italian driving methods are very original, not always in a positive way. Plus, since everyone else is riding a scooter, it feels like a very community-like thing to do. And now that it's getting warm, it's really nice to speed along with the air rushing past.

The context of the ride was that my choir was giving a concert at a school outside Bologna. I was running late and in a state of anxiety because the trip required switching buses and knowing neighborhoods and being generally very Bologna-savvy in a way that I am not.

So, Massimo took pity on me and gave me a ride. Which was amazing. When I arrived at choir, I told everyone about my adventure. I received, in return, various offers to buy stolen scooters. You have to appreciate Italy for that. Bologna especially. Everything with wheels is stolen.


This is the garden at Lucia's apartment in Venice. (Can you spot the little cat face?)

This is a school that I visited in Pisa. It's breathtaking. If you're interested, it's a special training school for secondary school teachers.


The fish was one of my favorites. But it was covered with so many different pictures that it was difficult to choose just one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what are you, new? GET THE STOLEN VESPA(S). i dont know if you know anything about international travel, but im pretty sure diplomatic immunity goes a long way these days. the other thing is that if it doesnt have a vin number, its probably duty-free. which means you can sell it in an airport if its too cumbersome. you are a diplomat, right?