Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Castles and Comics



What could be more lovely than a week spent traveling with the Gilmore family? We saw many beautiful things: the golden baptistery ceiling in Florence, a castle with a real moat in Ferrara, carvings of professors’ tombs in Bologna. We sampled all kinds of gelato, pizza, and pasta – the most Italian food I’d eaten since arriving here. My poor jetlagged parents and sister managed to stay on their feet every day, supplemented by caffeine. As it also happened to be a week in which my roommates were going through domestic troubles, I was extra grateful for their presence.



The baptistery in Florence.


A building in Ferrara.



Last Friday I went to the Jewish Museum in Bologna and saw a presentation by Rutu Modan, one of Israel’s few female graphic novelists. She made it clear during her interview that she’s all about empowering women through comics and not about political propaganda.
I went with my friend, Felix, who quite rightly smirked at me halfway through the presentation and whispered, “You love her, don’t you?” I do! She was articulate, funny, and signed my book with a picture of a fairy balancing on a skyscraper. Here’s the book, which I read in Italian and now can’t wait to read (and understand better) in English, under the title Exit Wounds. It’s really good. And I've heard that graphic novels are good for learning a language - hope it's true, because Italy is full of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

girls can't draw! that's cute though.