Monday, August 11, 2008

Train Down the Coast



Bologna is so empty right now that the streets seem haunted. And it's getting gradually more difficult to buy stuff - something, anything - because all the stores are closing. Not just the stores: the hospitals, public offices, university, you name it. Whether you have a hernia or a broken kitchen sink, the message is the same: wait until September. All of this means one thing: it's time to go on vacation . . . in another place!

Tomorrow I'm heading to Lecce (that's the heel of the boot for the geographically inclined). I will stay with various wonderfully hospitable friends. Oddly, my most hospitable friends all come from the same city. This is a clear indication that they are worth visiting, simultaneously.

The plan is basic: beach and food. Can't wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a rock organizer like that. I would make better use of it though. I don't understand why they just filled it with the same blend of rocks. Stupid.

Anonymous said...

Lecce sounds like it's got something to do with milk.

I can't wait till you come home for a visit.

Anonymous said...

Being a single, unemployed woman can be a lonely, but reflective experience, filled with learnings. Send your aunt a postcard sometime. She misses you.

Anonymous said...

beach and food. can i come, now that i have nothin to do?