Monday, April 07, 2008

The Weather Outside's Delightful



In recent days the sun has been out all the time in Bologna, and I have to say that spring in this city is so beautiful that it makes up for all of the misery, gray, and damp that is the winter here. The red-orange paint that's used on all the old buildings gets really rosy and glow-y and it's light past 7 pm already, and it feels like it's something worth celebrating.



Last weekend my choir had a Sunday-afternoon concert, and the wonders that are Italian organizational methods provided us with a good 2 hours between our rehearsal and the performance itself. While my innate American-ness (read: obsessive tendencies) chafes at these things (waiting, confusion, etc), on this day I really appreciated being in Italy! The sun was out and we took advantage of the wait by lying out in the park adjacent to our rehearsal space.



The pretty little daisies were so abundant that my friends Elisa and Michelina decided to adorn the head of Michele (who happens to be Michelina's twin brother). He was a willing victim and kept his daisies on for the rest of the day, throughout the concert.



Spring fever makes people do strange things, I guess. I can definitely say that it has massively improved my eating situation. I've made two discoveries over the past few weeks that are making my stomach happy on a regular basis.
1. This gelato place. I was told by an American food writer, living in Florence, that this is the best gelato in Italy. I don't know if that's true, but it's absolutely my favorite gelato in Bologna (it's also run by an American woman). Best flavor? The cinnamon-pumpkin. Which goes perfectly with the brownie gelato, and a dollop of whipped cream. Most interesting flavor? The bergamot-jasime, which tastes sort of good. And a bit like soap. I daydream about this gelato ALL DAY. It's a 20 minute walk from my house, which is sort of an obstacle, but when it gets really hot out I think I'll overcome it.
2. Fresh peas in the pod. They're already in season! My mother has always encouraged my love for these things by buying them for me during the summer. But already, in April, I can go to the supermarket and fill a bag to bursting. This is my new favorite snack. Dollar users beware: my habit is costing me a full $14 dollars a week. It's like cigarettes!

Anyway, the point of all this is that spring in Bologna is a wonderful time to appreciate the fact that winter's over and stuff like fresh produce and cold dessert are actually available. Sitting outside in the sun, though, is probably the best perk.



Beautiful Michelina. I love this photo of her, though I'm not sure why. She's as sunny a person as this photo makes her seem.

At the end of our afternoon we decided to commemorate the event by taking some fotos. Miki took charge of the camera. The first try was a bit poor.



But we improved.



The people in this photo - Gustav, with sunglasses, Michele, with daisies in his hair, and Elisa, with the short curls - along with Michelina, who took it, are some of the most important people in my life here. The twins in particular have taught me so much about what strength and inner beauty really is. They're three years younger than I am, and they've experienced things I can't even begin to imagine - as cheesy as it sounds, their ability to open up and love other people inspires me daily. A great deal of the good I see in my life in Bologna is due to them. On that note, happy spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Certainly beats the weather in Cambridge, which is definitely not gelato-eating temperature!

Anonymous said...

More people to be jealous of! Well, I'm glad it was a musical weekend.

Those daisies look like chamomile blossoms. We don't have any of those back here in Cambridge because it's too cold and cloudy.

Please feel sorry for me.

Giorgio said...

The weather in Seattle.

April 13th: sun, 70° F.

April 20th: snow, 32° F.

I'm getting crazy!