Saturday, March 29, 2008

Easter Eggs and Illnesses

I've been meaning to post for a while but have been dragging my heels, probably because not much noteworthy stuff has been going on. Perhaps most memorable is the fact that I succumbed to a very bad case of the flu, which involved a first semi-collapse followed by another attack of fever, chills, nausea (and other pretty things) etc a week later. I hit 104 degrees for the first time in my adult life! Below is my collection of medicine, which grew gradually over the two and a half week span of the sickness.



I was lucky enough to find a variety of very caring nursemaids (or whatever would be the male version of the word - nursemen!) who applied cold compresses, carried computers for me, bought me crackers and generally helped me out. I especially needed assistance navigating the world of Italian pharmacies. It's difficult when you don't know the names of any of the drugs! Italian pharmacies are especially interesting (for me) because pharmacists can make diagnoses like a doctor would in the States (and it's an open secret that they can also give out prescription meds, but don't tell). Anyway, I know have a full flu-related pharmacy at my house. Luckily, I'm better!

I have a theory that my illness came from a trip to Switzerland that I made with one of my coworkers, to attend a tourism trade show. We both got sick directly afterwards, maybe from the stress of the many immigration checks we were subjected to on the train. Here I am on the train, before my passport was scanned repeatedly.



It may be worth noting that Francesca (my coworker) and I were the only people whose passports were checked in our entire train car. Why, we cannot imagine.

This is Lugano. It's pretty! I wish I'd seen more of it. Instead, I was able to appreciate the various culture shocks of not being in Italy. Here are a few: plentiful chicken entrees on restaurant menus, tea served at breakfast, no bidet, and clean sidewalks.



Otherwise life proceeds normally. I spent most of Easter in bed with the flu, but here are the huge chocolate Easter eggs that people normally consume here. Ours are only half finished! You can see how big they are by comparing them to the candle to the left, in the photo. Thanks to Tiziano for mine - inside there's always a little gift. I am now the proud owner of a cell phone carrier with a little strap attached.



My work stress is not diminished. But through the craziness, I think that my coworkers have somehow bonded, which isn't such a terrible thing. (One of them is getting married this summer, which is hugely exciting! And it'll be my first time at an Italian wedding!!) So all is not lost.

3 comments:

Giorgio said...

Emma! I can imagine how confused you got since I experienced the differences between the Italian and the American "pharmacy system" few weeks ago, as I got sick. I lost myself in the enormous drugs department of the Whole Foods Market (!). I was surrounded on all sides by colorful and glaring drugs whose names I had never heard. Some of them were available for tasting as if they were wine or cheese (this really shocked me)! I asked a clerk for something against colitis. She absolutely wanted me to try some pills for stomachache. I tried to explain her that I normally mean two different things by colon and stomach, and that my stomach was ok. I can't say whether I succeeded in persuading her... she finally gave me a dietary support!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your coworkers take good care of you. You have my permission to stay there a bit longer.

FYI, I vomited today and Grandma cleaned it up.

Anonymous said...

A nurseman?
And my Corrispondence School Degree in Medicine?