Monday, September 08, 2008

Happy Feet



In three days I'm going home to Cambridge, where I'll be until the end of September. When I first planned this trip, I made the choice to travel home this month so that my coworkers could take vacations during August. Also, because I wanted to attend family events that would take place this month.

Things have changed since then - no more job (luckily, my ex-coworkers got to go on their vacations regardless), and nothing to attend when I go home. I've been looking for work here, but have had mixed results and I realize that the search is going to be a long one. Over the last week, my roommates Massimo and Francesca (of 2 years and 1 year, respectively) both left the house. Now I have two new roomies, Corinna and Giorgio (ciao, Giorgio!). I've been instructed to manage the household as if it were my own, something I have no idea how to do. I found out two days ago that my work permit, for which I applied almost a year ago, was accepted and then rejected on the basis of a bureaucratic error - something that could've been entirely avoided. My expectations had been low, but it was still a huge disappointment.



Since I just got back from a terrific vacation, I don't feel prepared to depart for what seems like an undeserved (second) vacation. But there's something about going home that recharges me in a special way. There's a unique combination of one-eyed cat, abundant kimchi, and sweaty yoga that I can't find in Italy. I think that it'll be good for me, even if I haven't really earned more relaxation time.



Despite the transitions of this summer, and certain stresses which are now weighing on me, something strange happened in Italy during the past few months. I feel as if I've found piece of security blanket in Bologna that wasn't here before. Maybe it's because over the past few months I learned a lot about relying on myself. It's helped me open my eyes to the good stuff within the people around me, many of whom have supplied me with a great deal of unexpected love and support. So I'm stressed and jobless and permitless, but really lucky, too. And grateful.

4 comments:

Serena said...

Emma, passa dal mio blog...c'è un premio per te!

Anonymous said...

That a really, nice thoughtful blog. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I rank above kimchi and sweaty yoga! Can't wait for 'lemon time'!!!

Sarettah said...

E io mi considero molto fortunata ad aver incontrato te.
Cerca di goderti finché puoi yoga, kimchi e il gatto (!?!?!?), perché la prossima volta non ti lasceremo partire così facilmente...
La Pothouse ti aspetta, torna presto.