Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thinking Time



It's funny how the past two summers have brought huge changes to my life even though I've been out of school (and therefore the summer should be a part of the year like any other).

Last summer I went home, went to Korea, and settled into my job. It was a whirlwind, but despite the confusion I felt as if I'd made the decision to make a go of my life in Italy.

This summer things are different. A year has passed in Bologna - I feel more confident with my Italian, I feel more rooted socially, I've become more attached to the city. And it looks like I'll also be leaving my job. So things have changed a lot.



I know that I want to stay here, at least for now. Strangely, my non-school life ha s only taken place in Bologna (I almost called it "my grown-up life", but that it is not!!). I'm probably more attached to things here than I would be if I'd stayed in the States, because being on my own has led me to invest more energy into everything I've done. And giving a lot, you receive a whole lot in return. I think that the most wrenching part of this change will be saying goodbye to my office and my coworkers. I was incredibly lucky to find a job among a group of young people who have been incredibly understanding and supportive. Our office has become my point of reference, and in its own way, my home away from home. I know how everyone drinks their coffee, what they eat for lunch, how they express their thoughts, how they dress. I know everyone's bathroom schedules! So it's not going to be easy to leave, and the next few weeks will probably be pretty sad for me because of it. But adjustments always happen, even if they happen slowly.



In the meantime, instead of having deep or heavy thoughts, I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my free time (other than look for work). I've had some thoughts of my own. Like, buy a bathing cap and actually try swimming for athletic purpose. Or visit some of the cities nearby that I've still never seen - Parma, Pesaro, Mantova. Or try cooking more often. In the end, there are lots of possibilities . . . Do you have any suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Visit your American friends on the East Coast. Or possibly even Washington DC.
2. Start watching the Sopranos.
3. Catch up on Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
4. Play more wiffle ball.
5. Lift weights.

Anonymous said...

It takes a lot of courage to change jobs! You are brave. Travel, have fun, read, explore.

Anonymous said...

1. Take on the hundred push-up challenge. But not really. Try though. You can do girl push-ups if you want.
2. Learn how to make your own kimchi. If you don't learn how to be self reliant, you will wither and die. Yes, die. I'm sorry.
3. I'm sorry. There was supposed to be more here. There's not though.
4. I'm really sorry.

p.s. What do Italians think of vertical farming? Would they laugh?

Unknown said...

your friends are pretty funny.