Wednesday, February 27, 2008

London Town



This weekend I was the lucky recipient of a four-day weekend with my parents in London. My mother's need to study milk close-up forced her to come all the way to my adopted continent! My parents have been in London for the past month and I caught them just at the end of their trip. As any tired, overworked daughter knows, time with parents is also known as face-stuffing time. This is something I definitely did.



Above is a photo of a "cream tea". This means, apparently, tea, a scone, a jar (!) of jam, and an entire teacup full of whipped (or as the English would have it, clotted) cream. I certainly didn't think I would eat it all, but I did. And it was great!



My parents had rented an apartment outside central London, near Hampstead Heath, and it was gorgeous. Plus, there was more fresh air and nature than I generally see on a daily basis in Bologna.



We also made sure to take in some tourist activities, like the London Eye. The London Eye is basically a ferris wheel made out of enclosed metal pods. But it's very big and very slow, and it's on the Thames, so you can look out over the river and all of London. Even though my own family members derided me for my cheesy touristy-ness, I'm glad we went. Thank you, Mom.



Of course, no big city trip would be complete without my most favorite cuisine. This weekend I had two Korean meals. This brings my grand London total to: FIVE. That is, I have eaten at five different Korean restaurants in London. I am very proud of this fact, not least because I have spent a grand total of 8 days there during the past 10 years. Below, my parents ponder the mysteries of Korean barbecue (their first).



And, especially exciting (Rosa), we went to a pub and had our very first English drinking experience together. One beer each - but being a family of lightweights, we still had to stumble out the door.



It was a really great trip. Thank you, parents.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bag of chips at the pub looks especially tasty. Is your father trying to cook his face in the barbecue?

Anonymous said...

So *that's* where three of you are, at least! Thanks loads for leaving me behind in Cambridge.
How about barbecuing a few of those birds?

Unknown said...

it looks like there's a half pint on the table there. and you were still all kinds of drunk? pathetic.
hi, city.
dinkie, let's not pretend YOU're the mistreated one, here.

Anonymous said...

That was MY half-pint of authentic dark English bitter (luke-warm) on the table and so I'm the one responsible for the not-so-great photo. Credit, please. I wish Rosa had been there to show me how to drink properly, as they say in England.

Let's have a party at The Flask next summer! Everyone who's in a Baloney blog photo is invited! :)

Giorgio said...

Now I know how to capitalise the time spent in Heathrow waiting for flight connections: a big tasty cream tea!